Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Best Song with "Mmm" in the Title?


Lowbrow Answer: "Mmm Papi" by Britney Spears
I can't be sure, but I feel like there's something vaguely racist about the title of this song. And does this girl ever sing about anything beyond dancing with boys and/or being crazy? I think her songwriters just keep putting the same four words into a bag and pulling them out in random order to write her lyrics. What are the words? Crazy, love, baby, and heart.

Who are the people that are listening to this shit? Look, you like silly dance music? Fine. But I can list you a dozen other artists who do it way better than this idiot. And I've had enough with these pseudo-intelligent twentysomethings who like Britney Spears because they think it's ironic and funny. It isn't. She sucks. And so do they.



Middlebrow Answer: "MmmBop" by Hanson
This is the middlebrow answer by sheer virtue of the fact that at least each of the three girls in this band can actually play a musical instrument. That's more than you can say about Britney Spears. Also, realize that this song was produced by The Dust Brothers. Instant points to Hanson for hanging out with the guys who wrote the soundtrack for "Fight Club" and produced Beck's "Odelay."

On the other hand, what the fuck is an MmmBop? I can't decide if it sounds more like a character from Teletubbies or some sort of anal polyp. Either way, I'm not comfortable with these twerps making up words. Leave that to true artists like Shakespeare, Bjork, or Lil John.



Highbrow Answer: "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" by the Crash Test Dummies
Say what you will, but this song rules. The title alone is the most Dadaist thing I've ever heard. Let alone there being no real words, there aren't even any vowels. The song talks about a kid who gets in a car crash, a girl who is covered in melanoma, and a boy who is religiously oppressed by his parents. Hard. Core. I feel like I'm watching a Jean-Pierre Jeunet movie. If you don't know who that is, you're lowbrow swine.

The best part about this band is that its lead singer is a bass. None of this popstar bullshit where the lead singer is a high tenor with a girlie voice. This guy is deep. His balls have dropped and are hanging down somewhere near his knees. He belongs in a Wagnerian Opera, singing the part of Wotan. If you don't know who that is, you're lowbrow swine.

4 comments:

  1. But I do dig Brit... :(

    And you know I'm awesome!

    ♥ for ya baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when he finally came back.
    his. hair.

    had turned from black into bright white.
    couldn't quite explain it.
    said the cars had hit him. soooo ... hard.

    mm mm mmmm mm
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brit brit and not because i'm ironic and think it's funny. I just like her.. Just cause.

    and her song producers know how to mix a beat is all I'm saying.

    When I crack that whip, everybody gonna trip just like a Circus. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. an mmmbop is actually an unrepeatable moment in time, according to the band. betcha didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete